Whether you love eggplant or have never cooked with it, this recipe creates a delicious vegetarian meal for your family and is fun to create! Enjoy cooking while social distancing at home, or simply indulge in this colorful dinner dish with your loved ones. Ingredients can be adjusted for vegan options so no one is left out.
Hand blender (optional)
Large sauté pan
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 60 minutes
2 eggplant, sliced lengthways
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
3 clove garlic, finely sliced
2lb tinned tomato
2 tbsp basil
1 tsp caster sugar
5 oz mozzarella, thinly sliced
3 oz vegetarian parmesan-style cheese (such as Organic Valley), grated
4 oz breadcrumbs
(vegan cheese can be used as cheese substitute)
1. Place the sliced eggplant into a colander and dust with salt. Allow the eggplant to sit for 10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
2. Prepare the tomato sauce, into a large saucepan add one tablespoon of olive oil and place on a medium heat. Add the onion to the saucepan and cook for 8 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Pour the tomato into the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer the tomato sauce for 20 minutes then add the basil.
4. OPTIONAL: Blend the tomato sauce using a hand blender for a smooth sauce, alternatively leave the sauce chunky. Season the tomato sauce with sugar and salt to taste.
5. Preheat an oven to 350F. Place a large sauté pan on a medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot cook the eggplant for 1 minutes, then turn the eggplant and cook for a further minute. Remove the golden eggplant from the pan and set aside.
6. Into an ovenproof dish begin to build the eggplant parmigiana. Add a layer of tomato sauce to the base of the dish then a layer of fried eggplant, top with sliced mozzarella. Repeat continuous layers until all of the ingredients have been used.
7. Cover the top of the eggplant parmigiana with grated parmesan-style cheese and breadcrumbs. Transfer the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the dish from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Then serve the eggplant parmigiana warm.